Re: RFS: libgis - virtual globe library

On 2010-11-15 09:01, David Paleino wrote:
> If you want it to be in Debian GIS, a couple more changes are needed. In
> debian/control, please set "Debian GIS Project
> <pkg-grass-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>" as Maintainer, and put yourself in
> Uploaders field.

Sounds good

> Unrelated to Debian GIS: always in debian/control, libgis-doc Recommends
> libgis0. I know someone suggested it on this list, but why? Recommends are
> installed by default, and that package is meant to provide documentation, so
> I'd rather Suggest libgis-dev. That's IMHO though.

libgis-dev sounds better actually, I think I'll do some more reading
about how exactly the Recommends/Suggests works too.

> Also, you have changes stored in debian/patches/debian-changes-0.4.2-1 . Please
> make so that patch doesn't appear. Usually, you want to avoid direct changes to
> the upstream source, but rather you want to use quilt(1).
> (Tip: that patch creates two autotools-related files. If you want to get rid of
> them, add them to debian/clean, and they'll be removed during the clean target)

That's exactly what I want, thanks :)

> Also, a symbols file is missing. Did you choose not to include one, or just
> forgot it? :-)
> To generate one, I'd suggest using (after a "fakeroot debian/rules install"):
>
>     $ dpkg-gensymbols -plibgis0 | sed -e 's/0.4.2-1/0.4.2/' | patch -p0
>
> And then move the new_symbols_file to debian/libgis0.symbols.

I think I'll avoid including a symbols file for now.

> You have an examples/ directory. Why don't you install them? I'd put it in
> debian/libgis-dev.examples .
>
> After compiling it, I see that only a "gis-demo" is present in libgis-bin. I
> thought at something more... "useful"? :-)
> It might make sense to drop that binary package at all, and put the sources of
> this gis-demo in libgis-dev.examples.

I'll have to think a little more about putting gis-demo in examples, to
some extent it is a usable program, just not a very fancy one. I think
I'll look into how .examples is used in other packages before making a
decision as well.

As for the examples/ directory, that name is probably little misleading,
they're not so much examples as test programs. E.g. there's one that
tests loading OpenGL textures with different texture parameters.
However, the examples/plugin/, src/gis-test.c, and possible
src/tile-test.c fit the definition of examples a little better.
I suppose my directory structure could use some clean-up at some point,
but that can wait until another day :)

Note: it looks like some of the examples/ files didn't get included in
the .tar.gz because they weren't mentioned in any Makefile.am.

> Quoting your other mail:
>
> > Also, this is slightly unrelated, but do you know why I get a lot of
> > errors of the form:
> >
> >   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libfoo.so.0 could be avoided if
> >   "debian/libgis0/usr/lib/libgis0/map.so ..." were not uselessly linked
> >   against it (they use none of its symbols).
> >
> > I've tried using -Wl,--as-needed hopping it would prevent these
> > warnings, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
>
> Those are generally harmful.
> You should check what's actually being linked, and if you're using any function
> from those libraries (i.e. check what -l... are being passed to gcc).
>
> This is "only" reflected in the generated dependencies. While it should really
> be fixed, it's not a showstopper.

It looks like a lot of Glib/GTK/X11 stuff, atk, fontconfig, gio, libICE,
libX11, etc. I think it's caused by how autotools/libtool/pkg-config
figures out dependencies. libtool tries to link it against _everything_
even when I only use functions from a couple of them. Here's a list of
the warnings if you're interested: http://vpaste.net/pRIlT

> After the installation, trying to run it causes a segfault:
>
> $ gis-demo

Thanks for the bug report :)

I'm guessing it could be affected by OpenGL drivers (I'm using the
binary NVidia drivers). In any case I'll take a closer look at your
backtrace during the next couple days reply to that separately.

Quoting your other mail:
> I was forgetting. In libgis-doc, I can't see the use of a versioned
> Recommends. If you really want it, please use (>= ${source:Version}).

Sounds good