Re: deploying package with NFS

Ben Finney wrote:
> Richard Hector writes:
> > We've run into an issue here, when we deploy a package (created
> > in-house) on a system that uses NFS for some filesystems. Due to
> > root-squashing, the postinst can't create or chmod/chown the files it
> > needs to.
> * You're root-squashing filesystems that need root access.

I think trying to use a package manager without root access to set
ownership and permission is asking too much.

In the past when I have done similar things I always had one machine
that was an admin host machine for the NFS cluster.  That machine was
designated to be used for administrative purposes only and it had
root_squash disabled just for it so that it had root access over NFS
to the cluster.  Then all packaging operations were run on that
machine.  It had full root access over NFS and so there were no
problems with setting ownership and permissions.

Secondly I didn't mix the databases between these "userland" installs
and the OS installed packages.  It was for a completely different
purpose and it didn't make sense to me to mix them in the operating
system's package database.  It was conceptually located in NFS space
it didn't really belong to any one machine.  Therefore I declared my
own directory for holding the "userland" database and created script
wrappers to ensure that all of the options were set correctly and not
forgotten.

In my case this was for a different operating system than Debian and
using a different package manager.  (HP-UX with an rpm port.)  I don't
know what knobs would need to be turned to do the above with dpkg
although I am confident that it would similarly be possible.

Bob