Re: deploying package with NFS

Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> writes:

> We've run into an issue here, when we deploy a package (created
> in-house) on a system that uses NFS for some filesystems. Due to
> root-squashing, the postinst can't create or chmod/chown the files it
> needs to.

You'll likely get better information if you say which paths are
problematic, and which filesystems are NFS mounted.

In the meantime, I would guess that either or both of the following are
true:

* You're using Debian packaging to install files to paths that really
  shouldn't be touched by the Debian packaging system.

* You're root-squashing filesystems that need root access.

> I was wondering though whether this issue is normally considered when
> making a package? Or is root just assumed to be able to write
> anywhere?

If the files are installed on a host from an OS package, it would be
best for that host to have the filesystems mounted locally. That must be
true for at least one host on your network, no?

> The packages in question are web sites; we find that's the easiest way
> to deploy them.

You might simply be using Debian's packaging system for a purpose
contrary to its design.

--
 \        “The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. |
  `\                     It's absolutely not.” —Bill Gates, 1995-10-23 |