Re: Four days

Hi

Dne Mon, 4 Oct 2010 11:42:59 -0400
Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> napsal(a):

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:35:04 +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Michael Gilbert <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > As someone who has attempted to go through the mentoring process, I
> > > agree very much that it is rather depressing.
> >
> > How much of that is actually a problem, though? How much is an integral
> > part of gaining humility as to the state of the packaging work, and the
> > pain of learning new conventions and processes?
>
> The depressing part is that almost no one is interested in being a
> mentor, so its almost impossible to get your work into Debian, which
> makes the effort seem pointless. Note that I've actually succeeded many
> times, but I've also failed many times as well.  And the failures are
> all due to lack of an interested mentor, not due to package quality (a
> bunch of my packages are on mentors.debian.net and lintian clean).

Lack of interested mentors is indeed an issue. Nobody has unlimited
time and chooses what attracts him. For me it usually means things I
know and test or which I find interesting after reading RFS email.

The level of this of course depends how heavy I am loaded with other
tasks (what currently means that it is unlikely that some new package
would attract my attention).

> I think that the efficiency of mentoring is the problem that needs to
> be solved.  That could possibly be improved by treating mentoring tasks
> as bugs.

Well it would be definitely useful having better tracked package reviews
and problems found on earlier upload, so that it is clearly visible if
there are still some not fixed issues.

[1]:http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2010/07/msg00183.html