Re: RFS: flightgear, fgfs-base and simgear (updated packages) and 16 new flightgear related packages (attempt three)

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Chris Baines wrote:
> The main reason for the number of packages is to allow customisation.
> The reasons are different for the individual packages, for instance the
> scenery package is not needed if the user wants to use terrasync for
> scenery and the fgfs-base-models package is separated from the fgfs-base
> package so that it can be removed separately when needed to avoid
> problems with terrasync.

Hmm, if someone using terrasync (I don't know what that is) won't want any
of the models nor the terrain, you can still have flightgear-data (required
data files) and flightgear-data-basic (all default models and terrain), or
maybe one terrain package, and one package with all aircraft models, in
addition to the required -data package.

If there is really a good reason to keep them all separate, that works as
well, but still...

> I am quite new to this, can you point me towards information about the
> freeze exceptions in Debian, I understand the concept and know about the

In this case, I think you'd need to justify why keeping the old version
around would be bad for the users of the package, in terms of:
  * compatibility with other users of the package (when netplay is possible)
  * compatibility with external data sets (models, terrain, this "terrasync"
    thing...)
  * bugs fixed

And ask the release team if they'd provide a freeze exception should the new
packages get uploaded to unstable.

  Henrique Holschuh