Re: How to handle source code dependencies?

Matthias Klumpp writes:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:21:10 -0300, Nicolas Alvarez
>
> <nicolas.alvarez@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does Pascal have no notion of a shared library?
>
> It has, but the GLScene solution does not use it.
>
> > Nope, that set of components would be in a separate shared library and
>
> the
>
> > application would dynamically link to it *and* PulseAudio. Unless that
> > library happens to be "header-only" (very rare in C, more common with C++
> >
> > template libraries).
>
> Could be done in this way, but in the case of GLScene it is some kind of
> IDE plugin. It contains a set of classes, not only a header for a library.
> Also, the C ABI does not allow classes, so if the GLScene team would move
> all relevant parts to a shared library, they would need to create a flat
> API without direct use of objects.

I'm not quite sure what a flat API means and whether you mean objects as
instances and classes as types here, but if that could not be explored in the
sense of separate compilation and further dynamic linkage, then it is not that
helpful.

> I never used GLScene. GLScene integrates directly into the IDE, but it can
> also be used without it.
> I've seen a similar behavior in Java applications which included the whole
> code for a 3D engine directly into the application.

... which does not mean it is a very good idea to do so. I don't know what to
suggest, but chances are you spend your time with that approach, and then you
realize that no sponsor would upload it the way it is. Not any DFSG-compliant
software worth packaging, in my opinion.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>