Re: Request for a Mentor

Heath Matlock <heathmatlock@gmail.com> writes:

> With that in mind, what is the proper way to note that the .deb
> doesn't contain the Salome GEOM package? I am building this package
> for another package that doesn't require this feature.

I don't really understand the question; the facile answer would be
“don't mention it, then”, but surely you've already thought of that and
are not satisfied.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to:

* Create a package following the Debian New Maintainer's Guide, the
  Debian Developer's Reference, and the Debian Policy.

* Put the *source* package online (binary packages are no use for people
  inspecting your packaging work); the <URL:http://mentors.debian.net/>
  service is a good place for this if you don't have a clearly superior
  place for it.

* Make a standard “Request For Sponsor” message (please start a new
  thread for this) and send it here to the ‘debian-mentors’ forum, and
  also a topical forum for the area of interest in the package, probably
  ‘debian-python’.

* Prepare for picky dissection of your work, and make and announce new
  releases as appropriate.

--
 \     “To save the world requires faith and courage: faith in reason, |
  `\            and courage to proclaim what reason shows to be true.” |