Re: Dash and dot in package version

In <[🔎] 7337540c0905181406k63858584r28dbd4883869c506@mail.gmail.com>, Ludovico
Cavedon wrote:
>On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
><bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
>> Just, IMO:
>> I prefer 2.2~rc3+hg365~dfsg1 so that 2.2~rc3+hg365 would be greater than
>> it. In this way, it would allow distribution of the same upstream
>> without repacking for Debian by a non-Debian (or simply unofficial)
>> group.
>
>I think yours is a good point.
>
>However, as observed Magnus:
>> However, that won't work if you have already uploaded e.g. version 1.2-3
>> of a package, and then somebody files a bug that the tarball contains
>> some non-free file, and you'd like to upload 1.2~dfsg-1 to fix it
>> without waiting for a new upstream release.

In that case +dfsg would be fine (.dfsg is problematic is upstream decides
to release a 1.2.1), but you could change it to ~dfsg for the next upstream
release.

While there are always exceptions, I use the following guidelines:
Reserve '.' and digits to upstream.  Use + as a decoration when it a a
debian "addition" (e.g. pull from more recent VCS revision).  Use ~ as a
decoration when it is a debian "removal" (e.g. DFSG cleaning).  '~alphaN',
'~betaN' and '~rcN' conveniently sort the way they should, so you can use
$next_upstream_version followed by them or just treat them like VCS
snapshots.

Still, what version you use should be guided by functionality (how does it
sort) rather than pretty stuff.