Re: Upload just to fix a watch file?

On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:11:38 +1000
Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:

> Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org> writes:
>
> > Since the upstream website has been redesigned, the watch file for one
> > of my packages[1] has stopped working.
>
> Which leaves your package with a new bug: a ‘debian/watch’ file that no
> longer works. Right?

Right.

> > The fix is a trivial one-line patch, so I was wondering if such a
> > minor change could warrant a new upload.
>
> Many critical security bug fixes are trivial one-line patches. Why would
> the size of the patch be a factor in whether you should make a new
> release?
>
> Yes, certainly fixing any bug (even one not yet reported) is enough
> justification for making a new release.

The main difference I can see is that this bug only affects the Debian
ifrastructure, as opposed to a security bug, which affects users.

I don't think it is worth it to upload a new version of a package just
to fix a small bug which doesn't affect users at all, but I wanted to
hear some opinions.

I will go the way suggested by Alexander, i.e. report a bug myself and
tag it as pending. But I'll be sure to contact you once I need a
sponsor to upload a new version of beef ;)

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org>