Re: Upload just to fix a watch file?

Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org> writes:

> On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:11:38 +1000
> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org> writes:
> > > The fix is a trivial one-line patch, so I was wondering if such a
> > > minor change could warrant a new upload.
> >
> > Many critical security bug fixes are trivial one-line patches. Why
> > would the size of the patch be a factor in whether you should make a
> > new release?
> >
> > Yes, certainly fixing any bug (even one not yet reported) is enough
> > justification for making a new release.
>
> The main difference I can see is that this bug only affects the Debian
> ifrastructure, as opposed to a security bug, which affects users.
>
> I don't think it is worth it to upload a new version of a package just
> to fix a small bug which doesn't affect users at all, but I wanted to
> hear some opinions.

So, at least it's clear that the size of the patch for fixing the bug is
not really relevant to whether the change is worth making a new release.

> I will go the way suggested by Alexander, i.e. report a bug myself and
> tag it as pending. But I'll be sure to contact you once I need a
> sponsor to upload a new version of beef ;)

That won't get you too far; I'm not a DD :-)

--
 \       “Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who |
  `\   speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.” —Ambrose |