Re: Should clean revert everything to pristine source?

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Thibaut Paumard
<paumard@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On many of my packages, the "configure" phase modifies some files (e.g.
> Makefile).
>
> The lines which are overwritten are totally irrelevant: they reflect the
> particular set-up on which the upstream developer has packaged the original
> source.
>
> Upstream's clean target don't revert those changes. If I don't do anything
> specific, those files appear in the diff.gz file which can be considered
> clutter. If I want to do avoid this, I need to clutter the rules file
> instead or to use a patch system.

If upstream is using autotools, use make distclean. If you are
regenterating the Makefiles/configure with autotools because you
patched configure.ac/Makefile.am then you want make maintainer-clean.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise