Re: RFS: udav

Hi Paul and all others

Here some further notes on the issues you mentioned!

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 11:14:54AM +0200, Salvatore Bonaccorso wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 01:12:06PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> > On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Salvatore Bonaccorso
> > <salvatore.bonaccorso@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I uploaded a new fixed version to mentors.debian.net
> > > dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/u/udav/udav_0.5.1-1.dsc
> >
> > Some more things:
> >
> > Some of the images in help/pics/ contain this comment but there
> > doesn't seem to be any source code for them nor any indication of how
> > they were generated (other than using ghostscript).
> >
> > Image generated by GPL Ghostscript (device=pnmraw)
> >
> > While upstream's udav.png doesn't contain this comment, it does use
> > transparency and what looks like a 3D effect, is there any source code
> > for that?
> >
> > The file*.xpm and other icons look suspiciously like the icons from
> > Windows 3.1 (or Win95, not sure).
>
> I really can't say anything about that, but I "forwarded" these
> questions to the upstream author, to hopefully be clarified in future.

At this time I was again in contact with Alexey, the upstream author.
He explained me the following regarding the icons:

----8><----------------------------------------------------------------
> The "icon" udav.png is generated by UDAV itself (or via mgl2png, as
> independent MathGL tool). The source code is in attachment. I can add
> this script to the source archive too.
>
> Other icons (for toolbars) I made by myself (arrows, cinema, options,
> lighting and so on) but some of them (specifically
> new/load/save/find/undo/redo/cut/copy/paste/help) I got from an icon
> archive. Unfortunately, now I don't remember the source -- I'm ready
> to replace it for any other similar icons.
>
> Most of pictures in help/pics/ was generated by UDAV itself -- it is
> just color schemes. If you need I can provide the script(s) for its
> generation. Some pictures (with symbols) was generated by latex --
> when I port the documentation from latex-based to texinfo-based and/or
> html-based.
----><8----------------------------------------------------------------

So the udav.png itself is generated by a MGL script, and then
"converted" via mg2png (mgl2png is in the mathgl package!). How should
I procede with this, what would you suggest?

The MGL script udav.mgl was allready commited to svn (revision 25) if
necessary, but in particular with the other ones (new, load, save,
...).

The third "group" of icons, is again generated "by" UDAV itself.

> > There are some gcc warnings:
> >
> > qmglcanvas.cpp:187: warning: unused parameter 'mes'
> > mgl_addon.cpp:53: warning: unused parameter 'lib'
> > mgl_addon.cpp:53: warning: unused parameter 'func'
>
> Upstream informed about that.

Regarding this, Alexey said to me, that he cleaned up a bit the code
in svn. so in next version of udav released these warnings should not
appear anymore.

Bests
Salvatore
setsize 64 64

new xx 30 30
new yy 30 30
new zz 30 30
new cc 30 30

new x 90
new y 90
new z 90
new r 90

modify x 'cos(4*pi*x)*exp(-2*x)'
modify y 'sin(4*pi*x)*exp(-2*x)'
modify z '1.8*x-1'
modify r '0.2*exp(-2*x*x)'

# for <=32
zoom 0.35 0.33 0.7 0.68

#rect -1 -1 -1 1 1 -1 'W'

alpha on
modify xx '0.05+0.6*x*cos(2*pi*y)'
modify yy '0.6*x*sin(2*pi*y)'
modify zz '-1'
modify cc '1-2*x*x'
surfa xx yy zz cc 'y'
alpha off

axis -2 -2 -2 2 2 2

# test
light on
rotate 60 -10
tube x y z r 'b#'

modify xx '0.2*sin(pi*x)*cos(2*pi*y)+exp(-2)'
modify yy '0.2*sin(pi*x)*sin(2*pi*y)'
modify zz '0.8-0.2*cos(pi*x)'
surf xx yy zz 'r'

modify xx '0.2*sin(pi*x)*cos(2*pi*y)+1'