How to create quilt-based source packages using debuild

Hi,

I am having trouble understanding how to build a quilt based
source-package. My packaging is based on quilt, but when running
debuild, debuild creates a traditional style source package.
I've tried to add "Format: 3.0 (quilt)" to the control file and a Format
3 source package is correctly created (i.e. an orig.tar.gz and a
debian.tar.gz), but that resulted in a lintian warning:
        W: umlet source: empty-debian-diff
and dpkg-genchanges complains about
        dpkg-genchanges: warning: unknown information field 'Format' in input data in general section of control info file

Are those tools not yet quilt ready or am I doing something wrong?

Best regards

Ben