Re: RFS: vbackup

  Hi Stefanos,

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:53:12 +0200
Stefanos Harhalakis <v13@v13.gr> wrote:

>   My name is Stefanos Harhalakis and I'm a sysadmin at TEI of
> Thessaloniki, Greece. I'm looking for a sponsor for a program of mine
> (I've also created the debian package). This is a new package:
>
> Name: vbackup
> License: GPLv2. May be changed to GPLv3.
> Version: 0.1.4
> Author: Stefanos Harhalakis <v13@v13.gr> (that's me)
> ITP: 458340
> deb:
> http://hydra.it.teithe.gr/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-all/admin/vbackup_0.1.4-2_all.deb

  You have to provide your source package link (.dsc file), in your case:
http://hydra.it.teithe.gr/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/admin/vbackup_0.1.4-2.dsc

>   vbackup is a modular backup program. It is a set of scripts that can
> perform full or incremental system backups. Currently it supports:
> * Filesystem backups using tar
> * XFS backups using xfsdump
> * PostgreSQL backups
> * MySQL backups
> * dpkg package list backups
> and can be easily extended to do other things.

  AFAIK there's several backup script packages in Debian, which makes yours
better/different from the others?

>   I'm using parts of this program to backup some of our systems for the
> last 2+ years. The program is developed by me and I'm developing it for
> our needs (currently, it is going to backup 8 systems). I've already
> packaged it and created a mini repository to ease the installation on
> those systems (7 of them are running debian). Since I'm the original
> author of the program and I'm depending on debian packages for using this
> program in our systems, I believe that this package will not become easily
> unmaintained.

  That's good :)

>   The reason I've created vbackup and I'm seeking for debian inclusion is
> that I believe that there is no similar backup program available. vbackup
> is opensource, very simple to setup, very easy to extend and it is shell
> script based.

  Belief is not enough, IMHO. At least you should do some little research
among existing backup packages of the same category and show us that yours
is different.

>   The package almost passes the lintian check and fully passes the linda
> check. There is a problem with the rules file because there are commands
> listed in arch-binary instead of arch-indep (the package is for
> architecture: all) but I'm not 100% sure about how to correctly correct
> this. There is also a (I believe) bogus warning that lintian reports:

  Currently your package doesn't build under pbuilder because clean target
assumes too much: you have to replace your «$(MAKE) distclean» in
debian/rules by «[ ! -f Makefile ] || $(MAKE) distclean» or similar.

 Lintian warnings are not bogus:

> W: vbackup source: binary-arch-rules-but-pkg-is-arch-indep

 You have to move binary-arch rules to binary-indep, as no arch-dependent
packages are built. There's also a lot of commented lines from template in
rules, these are there to be removed if not used.

> W: vbackup source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.7.2 (current is 3.7.3)

  Change the Standards-Version field to the current one (3.7.3, of course :)
  Seems dh-make templates are still not updated.

  There's also a couple of informative messages you may want to fix (give
and additional -I flag to lintian to discover them).

>   I could not register vbackup with the sponsors.debian.net site. I've
> created the ITP (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=458340)
> using reportbug but the site keep saying:
>
> -----
> Connecting to bugs database... done
> Searching database... done
>
> Some errors occured:
> ITP/ITA number 458340 doesn't have the phrase "ITP: vbackup" or "ITA:
> vbackup" in the title
> -----
> while the ITP bug report actually has this in the title. Any suggestions
> with that?

  I'm afraid none :(
--
 Ricardo Mones