Re: mentors.debian.net reloading

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 06:04:36PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
[...]
> I certainly think that sponsoring is a step towards joining Debian.
[...]

Perhaps not entirely true, though I will accept that I may not be a
typical non-DD maintainer. I have one (very simple) app sponsored
into main for which I am also upstream, which I felt was a useful
addition, and am not at all interested in going through NM at the
present time. I do, however, closely follow debian-devel, dda and
mentors (and have for about five years), use Debian on hundreds of
systems including most of the supported architectures, and try to
provide bug reports and patches for broken apps as I run across
them. Still, if I were to apply for NM in my present situation, that
*would* be vanity in my opinion, and I don't forsee my situation
changing any time soon.

On the other hand, I see many people helpfully participating in the
MLs, BTS, translation teams and *yes* even package maintenance,
without any desire to personally represent Debian, get their keys
into the keyring, vote in GRs and flash their official developer
status as if it's some prize to be won. At the same time, I will
agree that there are many so-called "vanity packages" in the
archive, but I am not a fan of generalization and stereotyping.
After all, not all of them can be attributed to non-maintainers, as
I'm sure you'll agree.
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);