Re: mentors.debian.net reloading

On 26/10/07 at 16:06 +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 03:26:57PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > On 26/10/07 at 14:18 +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:
> >
> > I'm more interested in piuparts tests than in builds, actually. The
> > point is that most DDs don't use piuparts because there's not many
> > benefits in spending time setting it up. Having a piuparts installation
> > working on mentors.d.n would allow everybody to easily test his
> > packages.
>
> That would mean getting the package in Debian (with the dependencies),
> installing it, testing upgrading to the new deb etc., right? I just
> worry what happens if I try that with a package that pulls in 1 GB of
> dependencies. How would that work? (Disclaimer: I have just recently
> begun to actually use piuparts.)

It works fine, but takes some time. I ran piuparts several times over
the whole archive, without running into severe problems.

> > Regarding builds, it might not be necessary, but it's still good to
> > have. When packages are waiting for a long time, rebuilding them from
> > time to time could exclude some packages that are no longer candidates
> > for sponsorship (since they fail to build).
>
> Right. But although I used to sponsor a lot of packages hardly any of
> them actually failed to build. Mostly because the maintainer forget a
> certain dependency. But it's certainly possible to run pbuilder on the
> package.

What Ondrej proposes is to turn mentors into a package archive, where
packages would be built automatically on several arches, and people
could download them. In that case, it's required to build package for
all archs available in the service (you can't ask the uploader to do
that hmiself).