Re: Are soname bumps required when library upgrades break compatibility?

> > Policy 8.1 is clear - if the bug documents a crash in an application
> > that was not present before the library was updated and the library
> > has not changed the SONAME or package name, the library justifies an
> > RC bug.
>
> Actually, Policy 8.1 doesn't say anything about when to change the
> soname. Perhaps it should?

The bit about the SONAME is implicit in the change of package name
(as checked by lintian) and if the package name has changed, then the
application will have had to have been rebuilt against the new library
API so a crash in those circumstances is still a bug, this time caused
by a buggy library AFTER a correct transition. I was just pointing out
that if the transition is correct, the bug does not have to be RC.

Policy mandates that the library must transition cleanly - the SONAME
is just the mechanism used to change the package name which is what
actually determines what gets installed. Bugs which result from an
updated library package being installed when it should have been held
back are examples of an incorrect library transition and break Policy
8.1.

There is no need for Policy to delve into the mechanism of complying
with Policy as long as the result of the changes has the effect of
compliance.

--

Neil Williams