Re: Are soname bumps required when library upgrades break compatability?

> Soname bumps are upstream business...

Yeah. That makes sense. But sometimes upstream doesn't do it.

I'm asking mostly for bug reporting. I don't maintain any libraries.
When I file a bug report against a library for breaking ABI
compatability without bumping the soname, do I report it as serious? Or
just important? What would the justification be for reporting as
serious if there is no policy regarding it?

> Debian Policy does not have to mandate every aspect of every upstream
> decision - there are some things (like SONAME's) that simply need to
> be done properly before the code even gets into Debian (or any other
> distribution).

I agree with that, at least somewhat. The problem is that some
excellent packages would not be able to make it into debian at all,
because they depend on a volatile library.

-Brandon