Re: Are soname bumps required when library upgrades break compatability?

Brandon <winterknight@nerdshack.com> (10/09/2007):
> I'm asking mostly for bug reporting. I don't maintain any libraries.
> When I file a bug report against a library for breaking ABI
> compatability without bumping the soname, do I report it as serious?
> Or just important? What would the justification be for reporting as
> serious if there is no policy regarding it?

Yes, serious at least, but I'd even say “grave”: “renders package
unusable” (by its dependencies) in reportbug.

> I agree with that, at least somewhat. The problem is that some
> excellent packages would not be able to make it into debian at all,
> because they depend on a volatile library.

You aren't speaking about the ffmpeg case, are you?

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois