Re: RFS: cellwriter

Hi Michael!

Your package looks good. There are only 3 small things that you may
want to do (or you can do them on a latter version of your package).

On 9/8/07, Michael Levin <risujin@risujin.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 20:12 -0300, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> > There is no problem in installing README and AUTHORS. It's just not
> > necessary to install a README that contains instructions to compile
> > and install the program (since the user will get a package ready to
> > use, without needing to compile, install, etc), right?
>
> I agree but this is default behavior for Automake and I haven't found a
> way to turn it off.

You don't need to remove them from your source package. You can just
not install them.
With CDBS you need to use this in debian/rules, after the includes:

DEB_INSTALL_DOCS_ALL := TODO

Then CDBS will only install the TODO file (leaving README and AUTHORS
without being installed, for example).

> I should point out that I was using what appears to be an outdated (year
> old?) policy manual that needs updating:
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu-policy/ch2.html

The latest version of lintian will catch this old menu format.
You can also read /usr/share/doc/menu/menu.txt.gz, from menu package
version 2.1.35

> > And it's not necessary to have "Encoding=UTF-8" in cellwriter.desktop.
>
> Done.

It's not wrong to modify a file directly (like you did with
cellwriter.desktop), but it's good to keep all your changes inside the
debian/ dir. If you need to modify a file, you can patch it (using
dpatch, quilt, simple-patch-system, or something else that you like).

And the last thing is change command="cellwriter" to
command="/usr/bin/cellwriter" in your debian/menu file.

If you want to fix debian/rules to install only the necessary docs,
use a patch system (for cellwriter.desktop) and change the menu file,
then perfect. Otherwise I can upload the package if you don't want to
change them now (as I said before, your package isn't wrong if you
don't change this).

(I will reply the other email only to you as debian-mentors isn't the
place to we talk about this, OK?)

Best regards,
Nelson