Re: RFS: cellwriter

On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 20:12 -0300, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> There is no problem in installing README and AUTHORS. It's just not
> necessary to install a README that contains instructions to compile
> and install the program (since the user will get a package ready to
> use, without needing to compile, install, etc), right?

I agree but this is default behavior for Automake and I haven't found a
way to turn it off.

> Section of your menu file should be "Applications/Accessibility"

Done.

I should point out that I was using what appears to be an outdated (year
old?) policy manual that needs updating:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu-policy/ch2.html

> And it's not necessary to have "Encoding=UTF-8" in cellwriter.desktop.

Done.

> Hum... I see no ink when I draw anything on the boxes :-/
> Does it need something from Gnome to work properly? (I am using Window Maker).
> I have tried compiling it with --disable-gnome, but nothing seems to change.

I can think of two possible issues:

1) XInput is not supported?
2) Your Window Manager won't give motion/button events to a window that
   refuses focus

GTK allows the creation of GtkWindows that do not grab focus. For
CellWriter, this is critical because it needs to generate keystrokes to
send out to a different window you have in focus. Possibly your window
manager doesn't give CellWriter the events it needs to function.

CellWriter works on Metacity and XFWM. I will download a few different
window managers and see if others have issues.

I'll look for a workaround but in the meantime, I don't think this issue
should prevent the upload of the package. CellWriter is positioned as a
kind of GNOME utility anyway, you use a custom WM at your own risk. :|

--
Michael Levin <risujin@risujin.org>