Re: RFS: steam-powered

Michael, please preserve attribution lines so it's clear who wrote
what you're quoting.

"Michael Gilbert" <michael.s.gilbert@gmail.com> writes:

> > This sub-thread is discussing whether we *want* software in Debian
> > whose only purpose is to sell non-free software.
>
> like i said before, the purpose of the package is to help the
> average user to easily run the software of their choice on linux.

The only software that the package helps users run is non-free. It's
not in the interest of a free operating system to aid that purpose.

Note that I've already said that it's neither valid to hinder that
purpose, but by asking for the package to be included and maintained
in the Debian infrastructure you're asking for active assistance in
running non-free software.

> if someone is willing to package and maintain it, then why not?

They're welcome to expend their own resources to do so. While some
non-free software is present on Debian's infrastructure, the Debian
resources are primarily for the creation of a free operating system.

> how can the system be universal if software is refused because it is
> used to run non-dfsg software?

Because that's it's *main* purpose. If free-software games were
distributed on the Steam service, that would be a useful thing for a
free operating system. As is, there's nothing about the service that
is useful to include in a free operating system.

> if that is the case, then one should reject wine, iceweasel, gcc,
> and any other software that could be used to run non-dfsg software.

The argument was never "could be used to run non-dfsg software".

> as i understand it, to become a debian developer, one has to agree
> to adhere to the social contract

There's nothing in the social contract that compels anyone to include
any specific software in Debian if they are disinclined to do so. The
package in question has as its sole purpose the promotion of non-free
software. Many people are disinclined to spend effort on promoting
non-free software, and your cries will not gain their support.

--
 \           "Laugh and the world laughs with you; snore and you sleep |
  `\                                             alone."  -- Anonymous |