Re: RFC/RFS: yorick -- interpreted language and scientific graphics

Some more information:

  ITA:            : #357679
  Package name    : yorick
  Version         : 2.1.01cvs20060524 (upstream 2.1.02 in development)
  Upstream Author : David H. Munro
  URL             : http://yorick.sourceforge.net
  License         : BSD
  Description     :  interpreted language and scientific graphics
 Yorick is an interpreted programming language for:
  * scientific simulations or calculations
  * postprocessing or steering large simulation codes
  * interactive scientific graphics
  * reading, writing, and translating large files of numbers
 .
 The language features a compact syntax for many common array
 operations, so it processes large arrays of numbers very quickly and
 efficiently.  Superficially, yorick code resembles C code, but yorick
 variables are never explicitly declared and have a dynamic scoping
 similar to many Lisp dialects.  The yorick language is designed to be
 typed interactively at a keyboard, as well as stored in files for
 later use.
 .
 This package includes an emacs-based development environment, which
 you can launch by typing M-x yorick in emacs.

The version in the archive (1.5.14) is obsolete (see #333074, 227 day
old). The former maintainer (who is also the upstream author) has lost
his upload privileges (lapsed key), so I need a sponsor.

The new version has very interesting new features, in particular the
ability to load plug-ins. I have completely revamped the package, and
work with upstream to make Yorick's internal package management system
integrate well in Debian.

This upload will close 5 bugs (+ the ITA). The two remaining bugs are
very old, I will close one as "fixed since long" and the other as "won't
fix" as soon as I become the official maintainer with this upload.

Regards, Thibaut.