Re: Non-english license and documents

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 14:52 +0800, Ying-Chun Liu wrote:
> Jamie Jones wrote:

> >>Isn't this the case only if someone else than the author translated
> >>the license?
> >

> > Based on my understanding of Japanese law, the original document being
> > in Japanese is the one that is legally binding, even if the author makes
> > an English translation. Other jurisdictions may accept a hypothetical
> > English translation, but in the event of a dispute, the correct terms
> > are in the Japanese version.
> >
> > IANAL, TINLA.
> > Regards,
>
> Many of the non-English speaking countries only accept the law terms
> written in their official languages. What should I do if I want to
> package the software if the license in every files in the source tarball
> is non-English? Should I paste the non-English license to debian-legal
> for comments? Or should I ask the upstream author to remove the
> non-English version and add an English one? What is the proper way?
>
> Thanks,
> Ying-Chun Liu

You should do the exact same thing as if the license was written in
English. You leave the license in the source, solicit feedback from
-legal (which may take a while), and see if you can get an unofficial
translation from a translation team.

To be perfectly honest, had the license been written in English, you'd
have never asked this question, would you ? Why is the process any
different for other languages.

Regards
--
Jamie Jones
Proprietor

GPG/PGP signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No MS Word attachments
PGP Key ID 0x4B6E7209
Fingerprint E1FD 9D7E 6BB4 1BD4 AEB9 3091 0027 CEFA 4B6E 7209