Re: Question about rules file

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 09:51:36AM -0800, Martin Kelly wrote:
> I am creating a package for the of rtl8180-sa2400 drivers
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/rtl8180-sa2400) and I have a question
> about editing the rules file in debian/ in the source archive after dh_make.
>
> I wish for the package to install some files in three places:
> 1. /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/wireless (kernel modules)
> 2. /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/wireless/alg (more kernel modules)
> 3. /usr/sbin (some load and unload module scripts)
>
> I edited the Makefile to install into DESTDIR and defined DESTDIR to be
> /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/wireless so that should work.
Nope; you want DESTDIR to be something like
$(CURDIR)/debian/rtl8180/lib/modules/$(shell uname -r)/kernel/wireless

which installs stuff at build time into a subdirectory of the debian
dir.  You might want to initially install to "tmp" instead, and then
move stuff around yourself.

> What I'm wondering is two things:
> 1. How do I specify what to install into /usr/sbin?
Just put it into ./debian/$packagename/usr/sbin

> 2. What do I need to put in the manpage, considering these are kernel
> modules and need no manpage (nor do they come with one).
You'll have to write a manpage to document the sbin scripts, though.

Justin