Re: RFS: statist - Small and fast terminal-based statistics program

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 11:53:15PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Mario Iseli wrote:
> > -Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}
> > +Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}
> > (You don't need the second variable, it isn't defined anywhere...)
>
>        Automatic generation of miscellaneous dependencies.
>
>        Some debhelper commands may make the generated package need to depend
>        on some other packages. For example, if you use dh_installdebconf(1),
>        your package will generally need to depend on debconf. Or if you use
>        dh_installxfonts(1), your package will generally need to depend on a
>        particular version of xutils. Keeping track of these miscellaneous
>        dependencies can be annoying since they are dependant on how debhelper
>        does things, so debhelper offers a way to automate it.
>
>        All commands of this type, besides documenting what dependencies may be
>        needed on their man pages, will automatically generate a substvar
>        called ${misc:Depends}. If you put that token into your debian/control
>        file, it will be expanded to the dependencies debhelper figures you
>        need.
>
>    -- debhelper(7)
>
> If you don't care about debhelper commands needing to add new dependencies
> later then you can remove it if you want to, but it is a better idea to leave
> it in. It's unfortunate that dpkg generates an ugly build message if it's
> empty, but it does do the right thing.

Thank you for the explanation. Just for precaution I'll put
the variable ${misc:Depends} back again in the control file.
But since currently it's not being used, I'll not upload the
package to mentors again.

I have a question about uploading to mentors. I know that I
have to increase the Debian revision number every time I
make a new revision of the package. But since currently I'm
only improving the conformance of the package to Debian
policy, and not fixing any bug in the program itself, I'm
simply replacing the old package with a new one. Should I
add entries to the changelog acknowledging these changes in
the "debian" subdirectory even though the package isn't in
the official repository?

Best regards,

Jakson