Re: Interest in packaging GNU Shishi and GNU Generic Security Service?

gregor herrmann <gregor+debian@comodo.priv.at> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:11:20AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> I'm having some (for any Debian Developer surely) trivial problems
>> with the dependencies: Shishi's configure finds gnutls13 on my local
>> machine, but Debian doesn't have gnutls13 yet.  So when I install the
>> packages on another machine, the binaries cannot find gnutls13 and
>> they won't work.  Can I build my package in a "mini-Debian
>> environment" that has the build-depends that I specified?
>
> Check out pbuilder.

Thanks, pbuilder was easy to use.  The only nit I found was that the
default deb mirror was in Japan, so it was slow from here.  Perhaps
the defaults could be smarter, but that is a minor nit.  My packages
are now much better.

I also discovered lintian, and it fixed many problems.  However, there
is one error I don't know how to fix:

W: shishi source: native-package-with-dash-version
N:
N:   Native packaging should only be used if a piece of software was
N:   written specifically to be turned into a Debian package. In this case,
N:   the version number should not contain a debian revision part.
N:
N:   Native source packages are sometimes created by accident. In most
N:   cases the reason is the location of the original source tarball.
N:   dpkg-source searches for this in
N:   ../package_upstream-version.orig.tar.gz.
N:

What's causing that?

This package is not written specifically for Debian, so I assume the
second paragraph should give me some clue.  But I don't know how to
interpret it.

I'm simply running "pbebuild" inside a freshly unpacked
shishi-0.0.23.tar.gz, after copying the debian/ tree from elsewhere.
There are no files at all in the ../ directory.  Should there be?  The
packages build fine, and after pbebuild finishes, there are indeed
some files in ../:

shishi_0.0.23-1.dsc
shishi_0.0.23-1_source.changes
shishi_0.0.23-1.tar.gz

I'm sure this is trivial, but I lack the understanding to know how to
debug this further.

Thanks,
Simon