Re: RFS: libibverbs, libmthca - InfiniBand libraries

Thanks for the review...

 > + zero-byte files: (can be removed, can't they?)
 >   * ./libibverbs-1.0-rc2/INSTALL
 >   * ./libibverbs-1.0-rc2/NEWS

Yes, removed.

 > + both versions are "-rc2", not neccessarily a problem, but what are you
 > waiting for if they're now to be uploaded to Debian already?

Good question.  I will complete a few more minor changes and produce a
1.0.0 version, and propose that for uploading.

 > + Your debian/changelog has 2 lines for the closes. For my personal
 > preference I'd keep this in one line unless it's overly long (which is
 > not the case here)

Changed, no big deal to me either way.

 > + ARGH! cdbs ;)

Not sure if this is a serious objection -- I definitely like having a
10 line rules file.

 > + your build-depends don't satisfy:
 > configure: error: sysfs_open_class() not found.  libibverbs requires
 > libsysfs.

You're right.  I've added libsysfs-dev to build-deps.

 > + your lintian version seems to be out of date:
 > W: libibverbs source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.6.1
 > W: libibverbs source: native-package-with-dash-version

I fixed the first warning by updating to policy 3.6.2.1.  The second
warning will be fixed by bumping the package to 1.0.0.

 > + ibverbs-examples sounds like they're not needed, yet looking at the
 > binaries within they're the toolbox, right? Shouldn't it be thus
 > ibverbs-utils or something alike?

Good point.  I've changed to ibverbs-utils.

 > + no need to call the -dbg pacakge libibverbs1, the dbg should match the
 > exact version including SONAME of the libibverbs1 and thus can remain
 > libibverbs-dbg

OK, I changed the name (and also libmthca1-dbg -> libmthca-dbg)

 > +   SONAME      libibverbs.so.1
 > is a very challenging goal. Are you sure that all 1.x.y releases will
 > ship the same API for each and every upcoming version of x and y? Not
 > that this is impossible to reach, just mentioning the implications.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  The SONAME doesn't have anything to
do with the naming of releases, does it?  I am just planning on
bumping the SONAME to .2 if there is an incompatible change.

Also, in libibverbs I am using a linker script to allow for symbol
versioning, so it will be possible to have backwards compatible

 > checking libmthca-1.0-rc2 now:
 > - checking for infiniband/driver.h... no
 > configure: error: <infiniband/driver.h> not found.  Is libibverbs
 > installed?
 > (apparently it's installed however:
 > $ dpkg -S driver.h
 > libibverbs-dev: /usr/include/infiniband/driver.h
 > )
 >
 > ...not that I really understand this one but it's fully reproducible in
 > my testenv. Any thoughts?

This is actually a dependency of libibverbs-dev on libsysfs-dev.
<infiniband/driver.h> includes <sysfs/libsysfs.h>.  I fixed this by
adding the correct dependency for libibverbs-dev in the control file.

Thanks,
  Roland