Re: irda-utils: howto dist-upgrade when package name has changed?

hello frank..

sorry that it took so long, but i had my head full of other stuff
lately.

* Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> [2004-08-23 11:20 +0200]:
> Sebastian Henschel <shensche@debian.org> schrieb:
>
> > i am the maintainer of irda-utils which recently got this bug filed
> > against it:
> >
> > the fix suggested there does not work.
> > the problem is that the package(s) in stable are called irda-tools and
> > irda-common and the current version is called irda-utils. when doing a
> > dist-ugprade from stable to unstable, irda-tools and irda-common are
> > not replaced automatically by irda-utils. how can i handle this?
> > irda-utils defines:
> >
> > Replaces: irda-common, irda-tools
> > Provides: irda-tools
> > Conflicts: irda-common, irda-tools
> >
> > but that does not seem to suffice. is a pseudo-package irda-tools
> > necessary which depends on irda-utils?
>
> I think it can be done with Replaces/Provides/Conflicts.
>
> - Did you try with "Provides: irda-common, irda-tools"

yes, if modifying
/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-powerpc_Packages
is enough. i did not upload another version of irda-utils to the
Debian archives.

> - What does apt say if you do the dist-upgrade from woody to sid/sarge
>   with /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10debug containing
>
> Debug
> {
>   pkgProblemResolver "true";
>   pkgAcquire "false";
>   pkgAcquire::Worker "false";
>   pkgDPkgPM "false";
>   pkgOrderList "false";
>
>   pkgInitialize "false";   // This one will dump the configuration space
>   NoLocking "false";
>   Acquire::Ftp "false";    // Show ftp command traffic
>   Acquire::Http "false";   // Show http command traffic
>   aptcdrom "false";        // Show found package files
> }

does not seem to give any more hints:

fuchi:/# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Starting
Starting 2
Investigating libconsole
Package libconsole has broken dep on console-tools-libs
  Considering console-tools-libs 4 as a solution to libconsole 10
  Added console-tools-libs to the remove list
  Fixing libconsole via remove of console-tools-libs
Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  console-tools-libs
  aptitude coreutils debconf-i18n dselect e2fslibs gcc-3.3-base initscripts
  libacl1 libattr1 libblkid1 libcomerr2 libconsole libdb1-compat libdb3-util
  libdb4.2 libgcc1 libgcrypt11 libgdbm3 libgnutls11 libgpg-error0
  liblocale-gettext-perl liblzo1 libopencdk8 libpcap0.7 libsasl2
  libsigc++-1.2-5c102 libss2 libssl0.9.7 libstdc++5 libtasn1-2
  libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl libuuid1
  slang1a-utf8 sysv-rc zlib1g
96 packages upgraded, 37 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 23.3MB/33.8MB of archives. After unpacking 32.9MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

the Woody distribution was debootstrapped two weeks ago, as well as the
update of the unstable apt-sources.

thanks,
 sebastian
--