Re: Managing Debian packages with Subversion

On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 09:56:29PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > I prefer an alternate structure where you start with the project as
> > a top level.  This keeps all project (package) related files under
> > one directory in the project:
> >
> >    project/
> >       trunk/
> >       branches/
> >       tags/
> >       vendor/
>
> The only problem with this is that if you maintain N packages, and you
> presumably set up svn:externals pulling in all N, so you can update
> your whole source tree with one svn up

Learn something new every day.  I've never known about svn:externals.  I
can see how this could cause problems.  However, the above structure
still seems more organized to me.

> > Either way, I suggest the addition of a vendor/ directory to track
> > differences in upstream versions.  The reason for this will be clear
> > (see below).
>
> Vendor is just a branch so I don't understand why it should be kept
> separate.

Just a matter of organization I guess.  I just like keeping the vendor
branches distinctly different from the package release branches.  This
way I know anything under project/vendor/ is an upstream source version
and anything under project/tag/ is a tagged pacakge release.

So, both work, just a matter of what works for you conceptually and how
you use it.

--
Jamin W. Collins