Managing Debian packages with Subversion

Hi,
I've read most of what is available about managing Debian packages with
Subversion, but I've been unable to find a comprehensive answer to the
following question:

How do I manage a new Debian package with Subversion?

The things I've found only scratch the surface a bit, assume a level of
knowledge beyond mine, or assume you're migrating from CVS and already
have made several initial decisions. Also, I'm hoping to include
everything in the SVN repository, not just the debian/ directory. I'm
not considering Debian native packages, but regular packages that have
an upstream tarball.

Here's what I have so far:

      * The repository will have a structure where the root contains the
        trunk/, branches/ and tags/ directories.
      * Projects will start their life in trunk/<project>, branches
        being stored in branches/<project>-<branchname> and tags in
        tags/.
      * Initial package creation will follow the following pattern:
              * Download upstream source and unpack,
              * debianize by dh_make,
              * integrate into SVN somehow.
      * Development cycle will follow the following pattern:
              * Check out HEAD from SVN,
              * make the required changes,
              * commit. Nothing special here.
      * When making a release... svn export?
      * When upgrading to a newer upstream version... how?

I stress again that I'm looking for a solution that stores *everything*
in SVN, not only the debian/ directory.

Perhaps someone with greater insight could fill in the list above, and
hopefully this thread will end with a nice description of how to
accomplish the task.

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>