Re: gcc versions and c++ packages

David Meggy <davidmeggy@yahoo.ca> writes:

> Hi
>
> I had a few questions about how to package a program that needs a new
> version of gcc, but links to libraries compiled with the an old version
> of gcc.
>
> I have gcc 2.95.3 and gcc 3.3.1 installed.  My program won't compile
> with gcc 2.95.3, so I have been using 3.3.1.  However it links against
> libgtkmm 1.2.  My only current solution is to recompile libgtkmm 1.2 and
> the libraries it depends on, with the new gcc, but this breaks all the
> installed programs that depend on libgtkmm, or libsigc-1.0.  Including
> aptititude.
>
> Is there a better way to handle this?

Search the archive for the gcc 3.2 transition plan.

In short you add c102 to the version:

E.g. libgtkmm2.0 builds:
libgtkmm2.0-1       libgtkmm2.0-1c102   libgtkmm2.0-dev     libgtkmm2.0-doc

But you are right that everything needs to be compiled. If there
aren't c102 versions of something poke the maintainers.

MfG
        Goswin