gcc versions and c++ packages

Hi

I had a few questions about how to package a program that needs a new
version of gcc, but links to libraries compiled with the an old version
of gcc.

I have gcc 2.95.3 and gcc 3.3.1 installed.  My program won't compile
with gcc 2.95.3, so I have been using 3.3.1.  However it links against
libgtkmm 1.2.  My only current solution is to recompile libgtkmm 1.2 and
the libraries it depends on, with the new gcc, but this breaks all the
installed programs that depend on libgtkmm, or libsigc-1.0.  Including
aptititude.

Is there a better way to handle this?

David