Re: when to close bugs

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 03:40:50PM +0200, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> hi everyone,

> i have a simple question: when am i to close bugs? once the bug is fixed
> in *one* version in the debian archive (unstable) or once it is fixed in
> *all*?

> the bts docs say as soon as a fixed version is in the archive, but there
> are a lot of open bugs tagged "fixed". and imho it would make more sense
> to close the bug once the version in stable is fixed.

Current best practice is to close the bug as soon as the fixed package
hits unstable.  This is what happens if you close the bug in your
changelog, unless it's an NMU, in which case it gets tagged 'fixed'
instead.

There has been a lot of interest recently in associating bugs with
specific versions of packages, and I think this interest is being
translated into code.  In the meantime, closing bugs as soon as there's
a fixed version seems to be the most effective way to manage bugs in the
BTS, generally speaking.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer