can't install from a local repository

Probably a simple question. But I've created a local repository. Figured out how dput moved packages into the archive. Worked through atp-ftparchive and created a Packages.gz file, got sources-list to point at my archive correctly.

But when I do a
apt-get install spinelli (spinelli is my package)

I get this message.

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package spinelli has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
of sources.list
E: Package spinelli has no installation candidate

After pillaging the documentation, I've concluded that this error is a mystery to me. Is there something special I have to do to a package to make it apt-get install'able?

thx

Eric