Re: dblibs

    Jim> Hi, this has questions for mentors and the mentee.
    >> Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 13:03:54 CDT To:
    >> debian-mentors@lists.debian.org From: Kermit Tensmeyer
    >> <kermit@brite.net> Subject: dblibs
    >>
    >> Can someone explain to me, the hows and whys of libdb and
    >> libdb2 as used in Debian 2.1.
    >>
    >> It seems that a fair number of program, utilities and
    >> 'features' seem to use the 1.85 version, but there is also a
    >> 2.4.14 set in /usr/lib, and a symbolic link to libdb2.
    >>
    >> How does all this fit together?

    Jim> TO MENTORS: It seems to me that both lib pkgs can coexist on
    Jim> a system. Is that true?

 both coexist _and_ debian has gone the extra mile. The dblib 2.4
'stuff' has been renamed to db2, and the include files are now in
/usr/include/db2/db.h. The library is now -ldb2. All programs that
reference these functions must be modified to change the source code
and replace every referece to -ldb to -ldb2 and <db.h> to <db2/db2.h>.

 What is there left in debian that should not be upgraded from the db
1.85 version? ( the libdb 2.6+.X version can be built with the ability
to use 1.85 databases.)

 also ?  how does one track dependencies in debian? How can I tell
which packages, systems are dependent on each of these version of the
libraries without examing the built makefile for each package on my system?

    >> I tried to upgrade a system (libdb 2.7.5 libdb.a libdb.so, and
    >> include files), for building perl5, apache and mod-perl, but a
    >> number of items broke almost at once.

    Jim> TO MENTEE: What did you do to upgrade? install a package or
    Jim> 2? compile source?

I'm trying to run code on a debian system with a minimum number of
changes to the stock system. In order to make a number of web servers
to be identically configured..

 I'm want to use the software that has eliminated the problems that
I've encountered so far. Therefore Perl 5.5.03, Apache 1.6, mod-perl
1.20 has to be built on the system, otherwise the other modules can't
be built, but only installed from some other system that has the same
configuration.

  Waiting for someone to 'fix' each release so that it will run on
debian is not an option. Fixing the code so that it will run on debian
straight out of the release _is_ an option. If there is some way to
rewrite the perl hints file for debian, then it would be easier to run
the software -straight out of the release- so to speak.

Kermit Tensmeyer   - kermit@brite.net    [  dallas, texas ]