Re: Package checking

On Saturday 24 February 2001 18:45, Sam TH wrote:
> I don't see why.  The package isn't going to compile if $host doesn't
> have ghttp.h on the system.  Sure, $target doesn't need it, but I
> don't see how that will matter to configure.  Configure gets run on
> $host, which is where the file needs to be.

I understand what you mean with $host and $target. As lots of progs use
autoconf and it's the one solution to provide complete coverage of all
required cases, i propose to follow autoconfs nomenclature in section
'Definition of terms' in Cross building nano HOW-TO V0.2 ;-)
We would then speak of BUILD and HOST, as silly this may be.

The scenario you describe above would be the worst case. Autoconf not
recognizing an attempted cross build, falsely using /usr/include.
You would hardcode that bad/wrong/outdated behaviour into your
configure script by testing for /usr/include/whatever

Modern autoconf tries to do better (and fails when X is not available
for HOST, but is for BUILD) and can be fed with HOST information, so
that simple programs do not require to be configured externally on the
host machine.

A newly created Debian package should not be build with erronous
behaviour built in, but instead make intelligent use of the advanced
environment available with Debian/GNU Linux, so that it can stand for
it in the future.

Sorry, if this sounds a bit dry - i'm still in the process to get this
all sorted out, to be able to provide better info and advice in the
future. Let's just simply make it better ;-)

It still stands anyway, that IMHO a Build-Dependency is sufficient (or
it were simply useless) and that i personally would like the one person
preparing that package to undertake the effort to get rid of this
additional (useless) configure test in his new package.

Reference-packages: autoconf, dpkg-cross

greetings, martin

--
Cross Building nano HOW-TO V 0.2
http://eisdoc.debox.de