Re: Free ROM, Non-free Build Tools

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Ben Collins wrote:

> > I'm not sure if this was covered in the last round of ROM-talks, but:
> >
> > If I have free source to a ROM image (GPL, say) for a free emulator,
> > but the tools to build the image are DFSG non-free, does the resulting
> > binary image need to go into non-free or contrib?
> >
> > I'm guessing contrib, and then the emulator goes into contrib, too,
> > right?  Unless there are some free build tools?
>
> If the build-tools are found in the Debian non-free archive, then
> contrib. If you have to compile this on your local machine, and the
> tools are not in Debian, then non-free.

No, if the program itself is DFSG-free but requires non-free tools to
build it belongs to contrib.

Policy says:

<--  snip  -->

2.1.3. The contrib section
--------------------------

     Every package in "contrib" and "non-US/contrib" must comply with the
     DFSG.

     Examples of packages which would be included in "contrib" or
     "non-US/contrib" are
        * free packages which require "contrib", "non-free" packages or
          packages which are not in our archive at all for compilation or
          execution,

<--  snip  -->

> Ben

cu,
Adrian

--

Nicht weil die Dinge schwierig sind wagen wir sie nicht,
sondern weil wir sie nicht wagen sind sie schwierig.