Re: Free ROM, Non-free Build Tools

On Mon, Feb 12, 2001 at 08:10:49AM -0500, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> I'm not sure if this was covered in the last round of ROM-talks, but:
>
> If I have free source to a ROM image (GPL, say) for a free emulator,
> but the tools to build the image are DFSG non-free, does the resulting
> binary image need to go into non-free or contrib?
>
> I'm guessing contrib, and then the emulator goes into contrib, too,
> right?  Unless there are some free build tools?

If the build-tools are found in the Debian non-free archive, then
contrib. If you have to compile this on your local machine, and the
tools are not in Debian, then non-free.

That's just MHO, but I think it fits. Remember in the latter case
(non-free), you have to supply the compiled ROM aswell as the source,
in the .tar.gz. We need to be able to rebuild the package without the
tools.

Ben