How is autopkgtest working in Perl packages

Hi,

when trying to exclude clustalw and emboss from bioperl-run I learned
that its autopkgtest is failing for all architectures but amd64.  The
reason is that the test wants to install pftools which is only available
on amd646.  Thus all autopkgtests for other architectures are failing
with

   Broken autopkgtest-satdep:ppc64el Depends on pftools:ppc64el < none @un mH >

(and other not installable dependencies.)  Unfortunately I do not see
any debian/tests/control file which is hidden by some Perl test magic
I do not know.  Any hint how to relax the depencency from non-existent
packages?