Splitting imaging into two separate tasks

Hi,

at LSM I was start about thinking whether we should somehow split our
imaging task into smaller tasks.  The rationale is that we are mixing
something which is doing imaging on a molecular level like gwyddion with
imaging related to macroscopic medical images.

I was wondering whether the user base for these different kinds of
imaging applications is distinct and a split might make sense here.
If you agree with this, would you volunteer to do the splitting?