Re: Biology packages in FreeBSD

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:

(...)
Here the reasons are given in the mails of the thread above: It is just
duplicated functionality with a worse implementation.

As Steffen Moeller said: "BioPerl does not offer the example as a ready-to-use application."
Bioperl's version is different from the one that I cited.
OK - so I mixed something up.

And I found the error on gff2ps. It is something with locales. Using LC_ALL=pt_BR, it fails to build the PS file. LC_ALL=C works OK. I have contacted upstream author and said about that.
Fine.

Also, from TODO list of gff2ps: "Full re-write in Perl..."
Iven in this situation it sounds more reasonable to me to use BioPerl and
enhance this to a point were all people will be happy.  It makes no sense
in keeping people busy by reimplementing features.  Free Software is about
working together (at least to try ...).

I can release a gff2ps version, using a wrapper with something like

/usr/bin/gff2ps =

#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=C /usr/share/gff2ps/gff2ps.real

Or something like that.
This makes perfectly sense.

This is a workaround until upstream releases a new version. Or we could wait to the new version, without releasing a version before.
I'll leave this decision to you how important the program is for your work and
the work of your users.

gperiodic, grappa, kinemage, lamarc,
libgenome, lsysexp, migrate, nab,
Missing.

Gperiodic is on Debian! :-)
Found it.  We have to discuss whether it is really neede in our project. IMHO, we
should try to not drift away to much from the focus to medicine.  There should
be some space left for a debian-chem project.  Alternatively we might consider
a med-chem meta package which contains something which also people working in
the field of medicine might consider useful.  Opinions?

   Matt Hope, who is an official Debian developer maintains a private archive
   of biological software.  I have heard that the reason for this is that he
   has not enough time to bring the packages into a shape which is fit for
   official Debian (Matt, please correct me if I'm wrong).  My idea would be
   to start group maintainance of these packages.  If somebody would be able
   to offer Matt the help he needs we might quickly be able to move all his
   packages to the Debian mirror.  I would also spend some time on some of these
   packages (perhaps tagging myself as "Uploader" for the packages).

If there is something that I could help, let me know, please.
Thanks for this offer.  I hope Matt will tell us what he considers the most
important tasks to do to consolidate his archive and move the inofficial stuff
to official Debian mirror.