Re: Biology packages in FreeBSD

Hi!

> > fasta, fasta3,
> Here we have probably to do some further investigation:  We have the blast2
> package which also seems to contain a version of fasta.  Could anybody more
> educated than me please comment on this?

>From my emails changed with upstream author William R. Pearson <wrp@virginia.edu> (this is what he said):

[EMAIL 1]

I am nervous about distributing FASTA with a Linux distribution, because
there is always a chance that the version of FASTA that is distributed
would have a bug, which, by the time someone installed it from the
distribution, would probably be fixed.

I am more comfortable including a script that would automatically
download
the current version from ftp.virginia.edu/pub/fasta/fasta3.shar.Z,
and compile it.

[EMAIL 2]:

It did not occur to me that you would only want to distribute binaries,
since they are not very useful without DNA and/or protein sequence databases
(which are considerably larger).  Are you planning on a distribution
that includes sequence databases?  I can certainly see an advantage to a
distribution that has pre-compiled versions of the programs (possibly pre-configured
to recognize the databases).

[THE LAST ONE]:

I do not think there is much reason to distribute only my program,
because compiling my program is the smallest of the several steps required to
having a working FASTA system.  Downloading the databases and editing
configuration files to find the databases is much more time consuming
and confusing.

So, I would prefer that FASTA not be included in your distribution,
though I encourage you to include a script that would allow people to
download and compile FASTA.

[END]

"your distribution" = Debian

So, I think that fasta is out of Debian, right?

> > gff2ps,
(...)
> Here the reasons are given in the mails of the thread above: It is just
> duplicated functionality with a worse implementation.

As Steffen Moeller said: "BioPerl does not offer the example as a ready-to-use application."
Bioperl's version is different from the one that I cited.
And I found the error on gff2ps. It is something with locales. Using LC_ALL=pt_BR, it fails to build the PS file. LC_ALL=C works OK. I have contacted upstream author and said about that.
Also, from TODO list of gff2ps: "Full re-write in Perl..."
I can release a gff2ps version, using a wrapper with something like

/usr/bin/gff2ps =

#!/bin/sh
LC_ALL=C /usr/share/gff2ps/gff2ps.real

Or something like that. This is a workaround until upstream releases a new version. Or we could wait to the new version, without releasing a version before.

> > gperiodic, grappa, kinemage, lamarc,
> > libgenome, lsysexp, migrate, nab,
> Missing.

Gperiodic is on Debian! :-)

>    Matt Hope, who is an official Debian developer maintains a private archive
>    of biological software.  I have heard that the reason for this is that he
>    has not enough time to bring the packages into a shape which is fit for
>    official Debian (Matt, please correct me if I'm wrong).  My idea would be
>    to start group maintainance of these packages.  If somebody would be able
>    to offer Matt the help he needs we might quickly be able to move all his
>    packages to the Debian mirror.  I would also spend some time on some of these
>    packages (perhaps tagging myself as "Uploader" for the packages).

If there is something that I could help, let me know, please.

Cheers,
Nelson A. de Oliveira

UOL Fone: Fale com o Brasil e o Mundo com até 90% de economia.
http://www.uol.com.br/fone