Re: Debian-Lex Rebirth? - python/perl/php?

Aron, If what you say is true there is no need to start working on Debian Lex. There is enough commercial software around for a lawyer to do the job. Whats under the hood is very important. You do not want a Mercedes with a Trabant engine. I agree it is all about data, but this data needs safe software. We are obliged to provide the best. We can use existing php/perl software, but I will not advice it to use on machines that are online and I will advice the python alternative. Do not forget that windows also coders need to learn a new language to supply the lawyers with there software. So be blunt, this is not a holy war but a important choose to make in the future. We will get back to this later.

Quoting Aaron Rittmaster <ajritz@gmail.com>:

Excuse me if I'm being overly blunt here, but it is precisely this sort of
"under the hood" holy war that helps prevent the wide adoption of Linux by
practicing lawyers. The bottom line for the users of debian-lex is not what
drives it under the hood. The bottom line is whether the system works and
performs the functions necessary to be an effective tool in the law office.

The use of computing in a law office is all about data. As long as data can
be relatively easily input and retreived in the formats necessary, lawyers
don't really care what programming tools were used to deal with that data.
Python is a great tool. I'm glad that Jeroen is skilled in the use of Python
and is interested in this project. But if we have interested perl or php
programmers, there's no reason to exclude their input. If software written
in Python, perl, and/or php cannot inter-operate then that is a sign of poor
programming. Again, it's all about the data folks. All three of those
programming tools are capable of handling the same data types. Why would we
choose to exclude from participation in this project developers who's
background and skills in perl and/or php could lead to the development of
useful and effective tools, solely based on the programming language used to
develop the tools? One of the beauties of Linux is its ability to function
well with applications developed using a variety of tools.

IMHO, it betrays the core values of an open-source project when we limit
ourselves to tools developed based on a single variety of source.
--
Aaron Rittmaster
Overland Park, KS