Re: Is the IETF / Debian discussion resolved?

Marshall Eubanks <marshall.eubanks@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> wrote:
> > I've found RFC 5377 which says in 4.4: "There is no consensus at
> > this time to permit the use of text from RFCs in contexts where the
> > right to modify the text is required." - Is my interpretation
> > correct that this means RFCs can not be modified and redistributed
> > and thus are not DFSG-free?

For a work to be DFSG-free entails (through DFSG §3) that all recipients
of the work must receive license to modify and further redistribute the
work, for any purpose. Copyright law restricts that by default under
most circumstances; if the license on RFCs does not grant that, then
those works are not DFSG-free.

The IETF could choose to license RFCs such that anyone can derive a
modified work, but that any derived work must be redistributed only
under a different name; that is explicitly DFSG-free under §4.

To my knowledge, though, the license is currently far more restrictive
of derived works.

> > (Please CC me in replies.)
>
> And, also cc the IETF Trust.

Done.

--
 \     “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our |
  `\   inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter |