Re: Difference between license in files and in COPYING file

Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> writes:

> The old developer = author have deleted the hole package website and
> nobody have heard of him for a long time (> 4 years I mean).

That does make it rather more difficult; the copyright regime we live
under means that, regardless of the fact no-one has been able to contact
this party, copyright control still rests with them.

> But now I have seen, that this package is not fully licensed under the
> Artistic license 1.0 (as everybody would thought), but each source
> file have the following header:
>
> /*	WebDownloader for X-Window
>  *
>  *	Copyright (C) 1999-2002 Koshelev Maxim
>  *	This Program is free but not GPL!!! You can't modify it
>  *	without agreement with author. You can't distribute modified
>  *	program but you can distribute unmodified program.

Trivially non-free.

> Now I ask me if this package agree with the DFSG ?

No, it violates DFSG §3.

> Today I have tried to contact the old developer = author with his old
> email adress, but I think I get no answer.

Thank you for this effort, it is necessary to try.

> What can I do, if the author doesn't answer? Is there a way?

The work as a whole remains non-free so long as it is derived from a
work with the above terms.

Can you remove that part of the work, either replacing it with an
equivalent work under a compatible free license, or modifying the
function of the program to work without it?

--
 \      “Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a |
  `\        finite world is either a madman or an economist.” —Kenneth |