Re: Open logo license changed

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:35:39 +0900 Paul Wise wrote:
> > You might want to ask the current DPL about this. It might have
> > something to do with the font used being non-free?

"2. SPI's legal counsel, as reported at the Board's June 18, 2007
meeting, suggested some limitations to the relicensing for the purpose
of retaining enforceable trademark rights in the word "Debian";"

Source: http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-general/2008-March/002565.html

> > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> > > Moreover, this change was apparently done without any announcement,
> > > after years of discussions and repeated requests.
> > > I expected to hear about such a relicensing on debian-legal or on
> > > debian-devel-announce, but nothing has been announced yet, AFAICT...
> >
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:35:39 +0900 Paul Wise wrote:
> > Please contact leader@debian.org and ask him to announce it. Perhaps
> > he is waiting for a "Bits from the DPL" email before doing so?

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> wrote:
> Of course, it's possible that this announcement will be included in the
> next "Bits from the DPL".
> Anyway it seems that the logo page was last updated on September 25th,
> which means that the logo was relicensed no later than on last
> September: I expected that a move to (partially) address a
> long-discussed issue would have been announced in a brief message
> somewhere...

Others have asked both DPL and Debian Press Team to announce it -
without answer as far as I know.  I'm not surprised that it hasn't
been announced, because my last call to debian developers about
trademarks was answered by fewer than 20 developers.  I don't think
the project cares about its trademark and others can infringe it
without much fear already, no matter what the website says.

It was announced in routine SPI communications (see above) and then I
eventually changed the website to match.  I mentioned my actions in an
email to debian developers, but not to d-d-a (because DDs seem not to
care) or debian-legal (my mistake).

Apologies,
--
MJR/slef