Re: Inc. logo in game data (lure-of-the-temptress)

On Sun, 4 May 2008 16:01:28 +0200 Francesco Poli wrote:

> On Sun, 04 May 2008 18:37:06 +0800 Wen-Yen Chuang wrote:
[...]
> we seem to actually have the
> preferred form for making modifications (== source code).

This has been confirmed in conversation with James 'Ender' Brown of the
ScummVM team:

> However, we seem to lack a DFSG-free editor (included in Debian main)
> for making modifications to the game data.
> So it seems that the _letter_ of Debian Policy [2] is not violated,
> since the package does not require anything outside of main for
> *compilation* or *execution*.
> It requires something outside of main for *modification*, which is a
> different activity, though.
>
> [2] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-main
>
> On the other hand, I am not sure about the _spirit_ of Debian Policy.
> I'm almost beginning to think that Policy should be amended in order to
> include "modification" among the activities that must be feasible
> without anything outside of main...

After some thought, I've come to a different conclusion.
As I say in the already cited
the lack of "good" editors is not a DFSG-freeness issue.
It's impossible to mandate that modification tools are "easy" and
"comfortable" enough, because that's subjective.  _Some_ modification
tools are always available: at worst, you could always use a text
editor or a hexadecimal editor to modify the data.  It could be overly
difficult for many people, but, if upstream maintainers do not have
any better tool, I think it's acceptable, even though sub-optimal...

Hence, I withdraw my comment on the possible Policy amendment.

My conclusions are:

 * if those logo images are indeed non-free, we need to
remove the logos from the game data (no tricks with the interpreter,
please!)

 * developing an editor for the game data format would be _really_
useful and appreciated (ScummVM developers are probably the most
qualified people to do that, since their interpreter is at least
capable of _reading_ those data)

Once again, my disclaimers: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!