Re: DFSG-freeness of any license that fixes the ASP loophole

Shriramana Sharma wrote:
> I did not think it was probable that a company providing such a service
> would have no place on the network connected to their activities, in
> other words, a website. So the current wording does not actually mandate
> that they *have* or *provide* such a location itself. What would happen
> when there is no such location on the network? Would the service
> provider be excused from providing availability information of the
> source code because they don't *have* such a location?

Hence my suggestion to not refer to the mechanics at all. Just say
that they have to offer you the source. It's then up to the company
to insert a download link in the same interface, or to include a
written offer, GPL-style, in the documentation for the product, or
to include a statement in the signup form, DNS TXT record or whatever.

Things may get a little complicated with anonymous services like NTP.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/