Re: NetBeans ITP [was Re: CDDL]

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:01:08 +0000 (UTC) Mark Wielaard wrote:

> The FAQ even says:
>
> Q: How does this announcement affect Java EE?
> A: Sun's implementation of Java EE 5 has been available as open-source
> under the CDDL license through the GlassFish Community since June of
> 2005. In order to gain all of the benefits of the GPL v2 license and
> to be able to offer implementations of the entire set of Java
> platforms under the same license, the GlassFish application server
> source code will be made available under the GPL v2 license with
> Classpath exception in addition to the CDDL, By adding a second
> license, we simplify the process of combining and distributing
> GlassFish code with other GPL licensed communities. By offering all of
> Java under a common license, developers can now more easily
> collaborate on and distribute updated versions of Java SE, Java EE,
> and Java ME together.
>
> A similar argument could be made for NetBeans.

Indeed!
I really think that the quickest and safest way for NetBeans to be
accepted in Debian main is to be relicensed (or dual-licensed) under
the GNU GPL v2.

It's really the way to go.  Since Sun claims to have understood the
benefits of GPL-compatibility, I don't see a reason that would block
such a relicensing or dual-licensing.

The alternative is starting up the n-th debian-legal discussion about
the CDDL, which could be really lengthy this time and still fail to
reach consensus.
We have already tried to analyze the CDDL and there are diverging
opinions about it: some (including myself) think it doesn't meet the
DFSG, others feel that it is possibly acceptable on a case-by-case
basis, others think that it's basically OK.
But even assuming it's acceptable (I don't think it actually is, but
let's assume it is, for the sake of the argument), it's still
GPL-incompatible, thus placing significant barriers to collaboration
among GPL-using communities.

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_